HorseracingFLA Staff Report
Tampa Bay Downs this weekend will have two significant firsts for its 2015-2016 race meet.
On Saturday, the Oldsmar track will have the first three stakes races of the meet. One day later, it will have its first Sunday race day of the meet. That will be the start of its regular four-day schedule of racing on Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Tampa Bay Downs will have nine races this Wednesday with first post of 12:27.
Gulfstream Park also will have three stakes races on Saturday.
901 S. Federal Highway
Hallandale Beach, Fla. 33009
Phones — (954) 454-7000
Gulfstream Park Website
Gulfstream’s three stakes this Saturday are:
* $100,000 Mr. Prospector (Grade 3) — 6 furlongs dirt, 3-YO and up
* $75,000 Tropical Park Derby, — 1 1/16 miles on turf, 3-YO males
* $75,000 Tropical Park Oaks,1 1/16 miles on turf, 3-YO fillies.
Gulfstream will have racing on Wednesdays through Sundays during its winter meet that ends April 3.
First post is 12:05 p.m. on Saturdays and 12:35 p.m. on other race days.
In addition to live racing, Gulfstream has:
* Simulcast wagering — seven days a week with more than 30 thoroughbred and harness tracks; open for simulcasting from 11 a.m. until approximately 11 p.m.
* Casino — the two casino rooms are open from 9 a.m. to 3 a.m. on Sundays through Thursdays and 24 hours on Fridays and Saturdays
* Poker — 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 a.m. on Sundays through Thursdays, and 24 hours on Saturdays and Sundays.
Tampa Bay Downs
11225 Race Track Road, Tampa, Florida 33626
Main Phone (813) 855-4401
Toll Free (In Florida) (866)-TBDOWNS (823-6967)
Tampa Bay Downs Website
Tampa Bay Down’s first stakes races of the meet are this Saturday. All three have $100,000 purses.
* Inaugural — 6 furlongs on dirt, 2-YO males
* Sandpiper — 6 furlong dirt, 2-YO fillies
* Lightning City — 5 furlong turf, for fillies and mares 3-YO and up.
Tampa Bay Downs will have four-day race weeks for most of its meet that will extend through next May 8. Race days will be Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.
There are three exceptions. It will have racing on Thursday Feb. 18 and Thursday Feb. 25 and be dark on Easter Sunday, March 27.
Tampa Bay Downs is varying its first posts, with times between 12:22 p.m. and 12:28 p.m. It is doing that to help avoid having its first race start at the exact minute as the first race at one or more other East Coast tracks.
Because entries are out on numerous web sites at least two days prior to races, regular bettors have sufficient notice of Tampa Bay’s first race post time.
(Editor’s Note: Many bettors who bet multiple tracks would like to see more tracks take steps–coordinated if possible–to avoid having two races leave the gate just seconds apart.)
On days when it does not have live racing, Tampa Bay Downs is open for simulcasting and its poker room and golf range are open their regular hours.
*The Silks Poker Room hours of operation: Daily, 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 a.m.
The Downs Golf Practice Facility hours of operation:
Pro Shop: 8:30 a.m.- 8:00 p.m. daily (Last bucket sold at 7:45 p.m.)
Range: 8:30 a.m. – dusk daily
Short Game Area: 8:30 a.m. – dusk daily (lights out at 9:45 p.m.)